Being healthy and fit and buying workout apparel can be expensive. A sports bra can cost as much as $50 while a good pair of quality leggings can go for as much as $100 or more (not ours of course). Let me ask you a question. How do you care for them? Do you workout, take them off and put them in the hamper with your other clothes and wash them whenever? I use too. Until I started to notice after a while my clothes didn’t look as good as they did before. Not to mention, if you sweat a lot the smell. I sweat but unlike most my sweat smells like roses…LOL!
As a fitness apparel designer it takes a lot of time and effort to design and find the right fabric for an item to ensure it will look as I envisioned it. It can take me weeks to get 1 piece right. So taking the time to care of my fitness clothes has become really important. It requires a little bit more effort than just washing them. Here are a few things that I do to ensure that my investment stays looking like new for as long as they can.
- After I work out I allow the clothes to air dry on a drying rack or over the tub BEFORE I place them into the hamper.
- Read the label. Follow the care instructions.
- Wash everything in cold water. (Research as shown that cold water is best for durability and longevity)
- Use fabric softener. Keeps the garments soft and colorful.
- Use a mesh bag if washing with other clothes other than workout clothes.
- Dry on low heat or air dry FLAT
Now this may seem like a lot to do for workout clothes but if you’re spending a lot of money on them you want to take care of them so they’ll last. Even if you don’t spend a lot on your fitness clothes (which you don’t have to) you still want to keep them looking good. Fitness is a lifestyle and in this lifestyle you want to look your best no matter how much the apparel cost. Leave a comment and share any tips you may have on how to keep your fitness wear looking new.